The Church of the Holy Family
: Eglise de la Sainte-Famille
) is a Roman Catholic church
located in the St. Clair County, Illinois
city of Cahokia
. Built in 1799 to replace a similar church built in 1699, it is a log building. Constructed of black walnut timbers in the traditional French Colonial “poteaux-sur-solle
” (post-on-sill) vertical-log construction style, the Log Church is only one of five built in this style that still exist in North America. The church was declared a National Historic Landmark
and added to the National Register of Historic Places
in 1970. The building is located on First Street in Cahokia.
Holy Family parish is the oldest continuously active Catholic Parish in the United States, having been founded in 1699 by Canadian missionaries. Roman Catholic Services are still conducted in the church
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Church of the Holy Family, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.